National competition for the best journalistic investigation in Human Rights
The objectives of the competition
- Promote the compliance and respect for human rights and freedoms
- Support and promote the investigative journalism skills in the field of human rights.
- Improve the quality of covering the problems associated with the violation of human rights,
- Promote best practices of human rights activities
- Improve the public awareness of the cases related to the violation of human rights.
Terms of the competition
Staff and freelance authors from print, radio and online media of the Kyrgyz Republic are encouraged to submit a package of published or aired journalistic investigations on topics related to human rights violations.
All the materials participating in this competition must be published or aired during the period of January 1, 2015 to October 31, 2015.
Language of the materials: Kyrgyz, Russian.
One author or co-authors can submit up to 3 works.
If a material developed in collaboration with other authors participates in the competition, other authors should be informed about this before applying, and the competition organizers are not liable in the event of a copyright dispute.
The submitted works are not reviewed and not returned.
The selected works submitted for the competition will be published on the website of the Institute for War and Peace Reporting www.iwpr.net, on the website of the Central Asian Bureau for Analytical Reporting www.cabar.asia, as well as on partner websites.
Competition organizers reserve the right to subsequently use the material submitted for the competition.
Scientific publications, materials/reports of seminars, workshops, conferences, round tables and the works on irrelevant topics will not be accepted.
Submission of materials for participation in the competition means the acceptance of all of the above “Terms of the competition”.
To participate in the competition, you must submit the following documents no later than 17:00, November 2, 2015:
1. A duly completed and signed application form (available here)
2. Brief description of the material and the results obtained after its publication;
3. Material participating in the competition.
The materials must be submitted via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. All materials must have a confirmation of their publication (a copy of a newspaper/ magazine page, a screenshot of an Internet resource, a certificate indicating the date and time of release of the material in the airwaves). Audio works must be uploaded to file sharing platforms, where one could listen to or download them, and the links should be clearly indicated in the message sent to e-mail of the competition.
The competition committee, consisting of representatives of human rights organizations in Kyrgyzstan; leading journalists /editors, experts in the field of media; representatives of the Institute for War and Peace Reporting and partner organizations, will review the materials and determine the winners not later than December 10, 2015.
Materials will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The presence of elements of investigative journalism;
- Effectiveness: competitive materials, causing a public response or promoting public discussion of the issues raised, are welcomed;
- Objectivity: contest materials must be well-balanced and impartial;
- Relevance: the topic and content of the competitive materials must fully reflect the specific situation in the field of human rights in Kyrgyzstan, reveal real problems and show their possible solutions;
- Analytical approach: competitive materials, identifying and demonstrating the relationship of human rights issues with important social, political, economic and cultural events in the country, are welcomed;
- Aссessibility: competition materials must be developed in an easy to understand style, in a language accessible for the target audience;
- Credibility: figures, facts and other data in competitive materials must be accurate and true;
- Creativity: unconventional approach to the coverage of human rights topics both in terms of the form of the material and of the content are welcomed;
- Expression: the authors should professionally use the entire complex of means of expression inherent in certain types of the media.
Awarding of winners will be held in Bishkek, on the 10th of December 2015, the International Human Rights Day.
The Organizing Committee reserves the right to:
- determine the relevance of the stated theme;
- reject the work, if it does not comply with the requirements listed in the Terms;
- involve experts on a particular human rights issue, in addition to members of the Competition Committee, for more adequate evaluation of some materials;
- show the copies of the works during various events for informational and educational purposes.
The winners will be awarded cash prizes. Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
Print media 1st place – $ 700
2nd place – $ 500
3rd place – $ 300
On Line Media / Radio 1st place – $ 700
2nd place – $ 500
3rd place – $ 300
Special nominations of the project:
- Coverage of children’s and women’s rights – $ 200
- Coverage of issues related to torture, beatings, arbitrary arrest and detention – $ 200
- Coverage of issues related to freedom of speech, thought and freedom of the press – $ 200
- Coverage of issues related to freedom of movement – $ 200
Competition organizers reserve the right to not completely use the prize money depending on the quantity and quality of materials submitted for the competition. If any, the savings will be used for incentive prizes.
We ask the authors to submit all the materials to the Office of the Institute for War and Peace Reporting in Kyrgyzstan via email – email@example.com.
The deadline for submission of materials is 2 November 2015, 5.00 pm.
The application form can be downloaded at the website of www.cabar.asia following the link (application in English)
For more information or application form, please contact the IWPR office in Kyrgyzstan at Apt.1, Kievskaya str. 114/2, Bishkek; tel .: (996 312) 312 995, 313 411; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org